Mandate: The Business and Professional Women’s Clubs of Ontario is an equality-seeking group working toward the improvement of economic, political, employment, and social conditions for women.
BPW Ontario is a non-sectarian, non-profit, non-partisan feminist organization which promotes the interest of working women. It operates within the Canadian Federation of Business and Professional Women’s Clubs (BPW Canada), towards the improvement of the status of women in all phases of society, especially in business, the professions, and industry.
BPW Niagara holds monthly dinner meetings, which provide opportunities to stay informed on women’s issues, to enjoy a guest speaker, and to network with other working women. In addition, we also hold social events and have several active committees.
Although BPW is not a service organization, most clubs are involved in community work, such as support for local women’s shelters and bursaries for female students. BPW Ontario is a member of the Provincial Council of Women and LEAF, and interacts with other organizations in areas of mutual interest and concern, such as Friends of Women’s College Hospital, Soroptimist, Zonta, UNESCO, UNIFEM, University Women.
BPW Ontario has over 600 members in 18 clubs across Ontario, organized into six districts. BPW Ontario is administered by a Board of Directors consisting of approximately 20 members.
BPW Ontario receives no funding from any government or agency. It operates on a budget supported solely by membership fees, fundraising activities, and donations.
Aims and Objectives of BPW Ontario
- Working towards the improvement of economic, employment, and social conditions for women.
- Strive for high standards of service in business, the professions, industry, and public life.
- Stimulate interest in federal, provincial, and municipal affairs, and encourage women to participate in the business of government at all levels.
- Encourage and assist women and girls to acquire education and training.
- Affiliate with other organizations to promote mutual interests.
- Cooperate with the National and International Federation of Business and Professional Women and implement its aims, objectives.